Tigers Host Regionals, Varsity Wins Against Belleville West

Junior Abe Gianaris defends against a Belleville West player at their Oct. 20 game.

Joel Garwood, Staff Writer

Some sports have a playoff series, but in soccer, the outcome of one game determines if you continue. The 2020 season was relatively nonexistent, but this year EHS was asked by IHSA to host regionals [the first round of elimination in the postseason]. 

The boys’ varsity soccer team enters the first round with a 14-3-3 record and the second seat position in the league. And according to head coach Mark Heiderscheid, the varsity team, over the years, has consistently been the first seat in the league.

On Tuesday afternoon, the Tigers had their first game against No.7 seat Bellville West. 

A few hours before the game senior starting center and attacking midfielder Chris Agwuedu gave some insight into the team’s struggles.

“We lost a lot of good seniors last year; the problem is we just don’t have any natural goalscorers. It’s going to be tougher than our regionals my sophomore year.”

But despite the team’s lower placement, Agwuedu has high hopes for the first matchup against Bellville West.

The starting lineup consisted of seniors Jake Duboise, Ben Loftus, Gavin Walls, Chris Agwuedu, Ben Mathews, Wyatt Erber and Nathan Beck; juniors Tyler Dacus and Sam Reader;  and sophomore Evan Moore.

The first half of the game was slow; the Tigers carried the ball around with little to no push-back, and goalkeeper Nathan Beck faced a minimal amount of shots.

Defenseman Ben Loftus picked up the pace with a first-half goal.

Going into the second half with a 1-0 lead, the Tigers picked up the pace. Midfielder Wyatt Erber took advantage of the teams’ apparent difference in skill, scoring two consecutive goals to end the game with a 3-0 win, moving them (EHS) to the regional final.

The Tigers go into Saturday’s regional final against O’Fallon without a sense of premonition. 

“We (EHS) had a 1-1 record against O’Fallon this season, so it’s hard to predict the outcome of the game,” said Heiderscheid.

Agwuedu is more confident. According to him, the Tigers previously split with No.1 seat Collinsville, which beat O’Fallon Twice. Therefore, they should be able to win Saturday’s game.