Boys Soccer Moves on to State

Jack Pifer, Views Editor

The EHS Tigers are having their most successful season since winning the state championship in 2013. After winning the sectional game on Tuesday Nov. 5 with a score of 3-2, the boys will advance to the state tournament.

One of the keys to the team’s success is the ability of the players to work for each other and not for themselves. The athletes credit much of the team’s success to one thing: selflessness.

“The willingness to play as a team and to play for each other is a big one…” Senior Antony Agwuedu said. “Even when times aren’t going well we have a special resilience and togetherness.”

However the road to the state tournament had its difficulties.

Due to a packed schedule at the beginning of the season, the team suffered a few injuries. Regardless, members of the team thought they had a real chance to make a playoff run.

Junior Brennan Weller detailed that after last season’s disappointing end, the returning Tigers were hungry for a chance at redemption.

“At the beginning of the season everyone on the team knew we had a chance to go far,” Senior Logan Loftus said.

EHS now stands at 21-4-1 for the season after their super-sectional championship.

During the super-sectional game against New Lenox Lincoln Way West, two goals by Weller gave the Tigers a 2-0 lead that turned into 2-2 during the second half. Senior Cooper Nolan was able to score the final goal to put EHS in the lead with less than ten minutes remaining in the second half.

“The game was quite physical,” EHS coach Mark Heiderscheid said, “and it was difficult to maintain a flow from all the hard fouls in the contest.”

Nonetheless, EHS will travel up to Schaumburg to play against West Chicago High School on Friday Nov. 8.

“It makes for a difficult draw against a team that has also won over 20 games this season…” coach Heiderscheid said in regards to Friday’s game. “They are probably the best team by some distance that we will have faced this season.”

While the teams performance is in the forefront of every players mind, the boys play just as much for the memories as for the glory.

“I would genuinely consider this team family and enjoy stepping on the field with them every day,” Loftus said. “I love this team and will never forget this season no matter what the outcome is.”