Girls Track Hurdles into Season

Ryan Ash

Senior Rachel Kubicek sprints down the track in a relay last season.

Jacqueline Glenn, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Her underclassmen career boasts state qualifications and shattered personal records. But like the rest of the varsity girls track team, junior Abigail Korak isn’t done yet.

Korak said she’s most proud of her state qualification in the 4×800 and the 1600 meter races for both of her seasons so far; she aspires to earn another qualification this season.

“It’s definitely an amazing feeling, and it is a reward for all the hard work,” Korak said.

Senior Madelyn Miller’s work, too, is unfinished. She’s a three-time state qualifier for track and hopes to continue that legacy.

“I really want to focus on the 1600 and the 4×800 this year,” Miller said. “Qualifying for state in both events would be fantastic.”

The prospect of another four years of competition sometimes seemed unappealing, Miller said. But after debating whether she should continue running in college, Miller heeded the advice of her coaches and committed in February to the University of Indianapolis’s Division I cross country and track programs.

“Since running is a huge passion of mine, it just made sense,” Miller said. “Also, it makes my last season of high school running a little less bittersweet since I know I have my collegiate career ahead of me.”

Freshman Makenna Leuking is in her first high school track season and said that the successes of older track team members such as Korak and Miller motivate her to reach her goals, like lowering her mile time.

“I look up to the upperclassmen a lot and want to do good for the team,” Leuking said. “I try to stick as close as I can to the juniors and seniors in workouts to better myself and hopefully be where they are at in the next few years.”

As for the season ahead, Leuking said that the varsity track team hopes to send several team members to state.

“State is the last time you get the chance to run, if you qualify, and it means so much to people because you are competing against some of the most talented and competitive runners,” Leuking said.

The team also hopes to strengthen its bond.

“A lot of my team goals are a little more unquantifiable,” Miller said. “Unifying the different aspects of our team is another goal.”