EHS Boys Golf Places Second at Pekin Dragon Invitational

Jacqueline Glenn, Co-Editor-in-Chief

The EHS varsity boys golf took second place at their season’s sixth invitational.

“We did the same as we did last year. We got second as a team by losing by three strokes to first,” senior Zach Trimpe said.

However, the Tigers improved this time around.

“This year, we had four scores in the 70s, which is always good,” junior Trevor Laub said “I thought we did better because we had three players who have never seen the course and handled it pretty well.”

Normal University High School took first place at the invitational. According to some players, the school is usually tough competition for the Tigers.

“They have beaten us before and we are always close with them. They are a tough team to beat,” Trimpe said.

Laub said that the team was unsure of its chances on Saturday.

“We know going into every tournament we have a chance to win which helps, but we weren’t really sure how we were going to do that,” Laub said. “It’s one of the hardest courses we played all year.”

Although faced with strong opponents and a complicated course, theTigers focused on their strengths.

“Everyone played well and kept their composure on a pretty tough course,” senior Parker Griffith said.  “A lot of our players are long off the tee which makes the second shot on the green much easier.”

Still, there’s always room for improvement, especially with regionals, sectionals and state approaching in under a month.

“I’ve been practicing on my putting a lot lately, and hope to improve it next tournament,” Griffith said. “I would like to finish off the season strong and help the team make a state appearance.”