Field Hockey Takes Second in Gateway Classic

Ryan Ash

Team caption junior Kailey Noud dribbles the ball down the field.

Ryan Ash, Staff Writer

The EHS field hockey team placed second in the 21st annual Gateway Classic Tournament this past weekend.

The tournament hosted 57 teams from all across the country this year, including from Kentucky, Ohio, Wisconsin and Texas.

EHS has performed well in previous years at the tournament, but many members of the varsity team graduated last year causing significant changes in its roster.

The combination of a new team dynamic and the highly competitive nature of the tournament left some players with uncertainty about how well they would do this year.

“It could go either way,” senior Erin Dowdy said.

The Tigers opened the tournament with a loss to Dexter, but came back on Saturday with a 4-0 win against Louisville Collegiate.

Sophomore Rachel Goebel scored two of the four goals against Louisville Collegiate.

“I was so excited when I scored the first goal of the game against Collegiate because it set the tone for the rest of the game,” Goebel said. “Last year we tied with them and it felt really good to score on them. Also the goal was beautifully assisted by Mattie Norton and the best goals to me are the ones that we all work together to score.”

Following their win, the Tigers tied against University School Milwaukee and in their final match beat Lake Forest Academy. The team ended the tournament 2-1-1.

The team’s performance at the tournament has boosted the confidence of some players.

“After the tournament I felt a lot more connected with the team on and off the field. We worked so well together and I feel like we were finally meshing.” Goebel said.

Some players think the runner-up position in the tournament is indicative of what the rest of the season may hold.

“Our performance this past weekend gives me high hopes,” junior Kailey Noud said. “I am very excited to see what we accomplish this season.”