EHS Boys Golf Gets into the Swing of Things

Ryan Ash

Senior Zachary Trimpe watches the ball down the fairway after teeing off.

Cierra Veizer, Sports Editor

The EHS boys’ golf team won the first half of the Southwestern Conference Tournament at Stonewolf Golf Course on Aug. 27.

Although the Tigers won this portion of the meet, they have not yet clinched the conference title.

The meet has shifted formats this year, turning into a two date event. The second half will be held Sept. 25 at Sunset Hills Country Club.

The Tigers, with a four-man score of 311, finished first out of 6 teams.

“I was really happy with the way we played,” coach Adam Tyler told The Intelligencer. “The big thing for us this entire year has been consistency and the depth that we have.”

Senior Parker Griffiths led the Tigers with a 4-over-par 76. Other golfers include sophomore Hayden Moore (77), juniors Trevor Laub (80) and Nathaniel Frey (79) and seniors Blake Burris (79), Aaron Young (81), Zachary Trimpe (82) and Benjamin Patterson (85).

Griffiths shot his best score of the season by 2 strokes.

“It was a good team effort,” Griffiths said. “We all put up good scores and everyone played consistently.”

EHS won the SWC title last year with a score of 301 at the regional tournament.

Returning players Trimpe, Laub and junior Ian Bailey were chosen for the first, second and third all-conference teams, respectively, last year.

“This season feels like it’s been better than last season, but it’s been a slow start,” Laub said. “I feel like my games are starting to come together piece by piece.”

This year’s graduation losses included Tanner White, Lucas Verdun, Jonathon Ratterman and Colin Loyet. Also a first team all-conference selection and third place state medalist will be lost for the Tigers as Bensen Tyrrell moves on to the college level.

“Last year we could rely on a few players to always play well,” Trimpe said. “Now this year we don’t have a stud like Ben Tyrrell, but I think we have a group of six players that can all score the same.”

Griffiths agrees with Trimpe and also sees the strengths of this year’s team.

“Like last year, we have players who can put up good numbers, and this year we have very good team chemistry,” Griffiths said.

EHS hopes to claim another conference title, but the team acknowledges that it will take hard work and dedication.

“They have the capability of going real low, so we know the tournament is far from over,” Mr. Tyler said. “You have to go out and play the course and not think about who you’re playing, and we’ll have to do that again at the next conference tournament.”