Senior Night Wraps Up Boys Basketball Season As Players Look Forward to Postseason

Lily Grieve, A&E Editor

Fifteen players, 25-1 record, no. 1 state ranking.

The boys basketball team beat Alton 76-61 Friday, Feb. 17, racking up their 20th consecutive win and landing them the second place state ranking. It wasn’t until Tuesday, Feb. 21, however, that the rank climbed.

After their 82-64 victory against O’Fallon, the boys were placed in the no. 1 ranked spot in the state and no. 22 ranked position in the nation.

“O’Fallon is pretty good this year,” sophomore Matt Stopka said. “We stopped them by putting (Caleb) Strohmeier and Jack (Marinko) on their best scorers because they are amazing at defense.”

But the team isn’t letting the rankings distract them from the game.

“Honestly, (the ranking) doesn’t make much of a difference,” senior Zach Doornink said. “It’s nice to have the honor, but it doesn’t matter once the game starts.”

With senior night complete and one more regular season game ahead, the boys began reflecting on their season.

“I can’t say that there is anything I would’ve done differently this season,” senior Oliver Stephen said. “Everything that has happened this season has contributed to our success so far.”

For the seniors, reflecting included looking back on the senior night game last Friday against Alton. Because it was their last home game, the seniors decided to go out with a bang.

“I definitely thought (senior night) was a sad thing because it’s the last time I’ll ever play in that gym in front of our awesome fans that come to watch,” Stephen said. “I know for Mark (Smith), AJ (Epenesa) and I, our attitude going into the game was to give one last show on our home court for everyone.”

The seniors weren’t the only ones who were hesitant to leave the gym that night.

“I feel like this season has flown by,” Stopka said. “It’s crazy to think that regionals start next Tuesday, and that this Friday is the last regular season game. I’m very close with all of the seniors (who are) graduating, so it’s sad to think they won’t be here next year.”

But instead of dwelling on mixed emotions, the team is focusing on postseason and the last regular season game this Friday, Feb. 24, against Belleville East.

“(I hope) to come out with a win on Friday to give us momentum going into postseason,” Stephen said. “But what I’m looking forward to the most is getting as far as we can (in postseason).”