Indoor Soccer Gains Popularity at EHS

Morgan Goebel, Co Editor-In-Chief

The month of November can be a dry time for EHS sports.

Football season is coming to a close and another month remains until the basketball team competes on the court.

But many EHS students have found a fun way to satisfy their need for sports without traveling to a SWC high school.

Instead, these students take part in The Sports Academy’s high school recreational indoor soccer league.

A dozen teams are enrolled in the league, which runs from October 23 to January 3. Each team is guaranteed eight games after they pay the registration fee of $770.

There is no official winner of the league, but the team with the best record for the session receives unwritten bragging rights.

Although every team wants to be the best, senior Tyler Lewis said skill level is not much considered when picking players for an indoor team. Most teams consist of friends with varying degrees of talent.

Lewis joined indoor team Naughty by Nature last year with little soccer experience. This year he is one of the four team captains.

“I was against playing at first, but my friends convinced me to join the team,” Lewis said. “I never got into soccer when I was young, but I’m glad that I’m playing it now.”

And friends who aren’t on the field are often on the bleachers supporting the team.

Junior Kaitlyn Kent plans to attend all of Naughty by Nature’s games while proudly sporting her “groupie” jersey.

“I love going to the games for the social aspect, plus they are something to look forward to on the weekends,” Kent said.

Although there are many returning teams like Naughty by Nature in the league, some new teams have also joined this session.

One of those rookie teams is Harambe FC.

Harambe FC is named after the gorilla that was killed at the Cincinnati Zoo last May and became an internet sensation. The name of the team itself represents the purpose of the indoor soccer league—simply to entertain high school students.

“Indoor games aren’t as physical as hockey,” sophomore Harambe FC player Nate Dalton said. “But they are on a different level than regular soccer.”

The Sports Academy has more laid-back rules in place for teams in the recreational league. Referees allow more smack-talk and friendly competition between recreational teams than they allow between competitive teams.

“I like getting penalties,” Dalton said. “Since the game isn’t as serious, having fun is the only thing that matters.”