Field Hockey Takes Tournament in Overtime

Miranda Lintzenich, Life Editor

On Saturday, Oct. 17 the Tiger Field Hockey Team stuck it to critics by winning this year’s St. Louis Public School tournament defeating Lafayette 3-2, something that hadn’t been done last year.

This was only second year of playing in the tournament, due to coming in to the public school bracket just last season.

Senior Ryley Miller scored the game winner in the championship game in over time.

“It was very exciting,” Miller said. “I was just glad I was able to come through for my team. It was a great way to end my last home game as a tiger.”

Junior Annie Mulford scored one goal against Rockwood Summit, scored the game winning goal against Kirkwood, and made the assist to Miller in the Championship game.

“We were all really in it this year and everyone really wanted to win,” Mulford said. “I felt like the whole team worked hard on the field and gave all their effort.”

Looking back at the three games, Mulford believed that she could not have done it without her team and their hard work.

“It was homecoming day, we were on our home turf and it was the first year we won it,” Mulford said. “Whenever Ryley scored I was so excited because we did it.”

A few other key players would include seniors Maddie Rasche, Maren Hampton, and sophomore Sophia Swalley.

“I think that we played the best in the championship game. We knew we were playing a team that was very good with their stick skills so we knew we had to bring our A game,” said Rasche, who plays center defense, also known as a sweeper. “We went into double overtime, which made the win mean so much more. That day also happened to be homecoming, so it really started the day off right.”

As Midfield, Hampton saw the games as nothing less than exhilarating.

“For me the last game was really important for me. We all wanted to win so bad to have prestige and just have a trophy in general,” Hampton said. “All of the teams we play are from St. Louis and they kind of single us out and underestimate us, so it was really amazing to pull out a first place win and really prove that we earned it.”

For most of the girls, they give credit to their teammates.

“Like many of my teammates, I feel like I left it all out on the field and I am very proud of how our defense, as well as offense, played,” Rasche said. “I think that we all put our hearts into the game and it showed.”

Hampton, on the other hand, gave credit to Head Coach Julia Tyler.

“A big part of our success is our coach who constantly encourages us to get closer and work towards our goals,” Hampton said.

She believes that this tournament was a symbol for all of their hard work leading up to the season.

“We have never won this tournament before,” Hampton said. “It’s a big reflection of our hard work and persistence. Towards the beginning of the season we were having trouble with fluency and working together as a unit but now we are working together and winning all over the place.”