Duke Secures Fifth National Championship

Indianapolis was the place to be Monday night, as the Duke Blue Devils secured their fifth national championship over the Wisconsin Badgers.

“They’re genuine,” head coach of Duke, Mike Krzyzewski told ESPN.com as he walked off the court for the final time this season, stopping to fist-bump security guards and wave to the crowd. “When you have believers, you’re happy all the time. My wife would tell you that. When you can be creative instead of trying to figure out attitudes, it’s so much easier. I never had to figure it out. When you get kids like I have, it’s so easy.”

Coach K has done it again, assembling the best squad possible with a winning attitude and a cold blooded style to perform in any pressure game.

“This one,” Krzyzewski said into a microphone after the win, “is the best moment of my coaching career. … We were around special every day.”

The first half in Indianapolis was tight as the teams went to the locker room where they started, tied.

The Badgers came out firing in the second half, but Duke was right there draining shots with them. It seemed to be a lost cause when Duke found themselves in a nine-point hole midway through the second half, with their best player, freshman Jahlil Okafor on the bench in foul trouble, along with freshman Justise Winslow.

The Blue Devils turned to freshman Grayson Allen to score eight straight points to change the course of the basketball game.

Allen, behind freshman Tyus Jones, who led the team with 23 points in the national championship game, added 16 off of the bench to boost Duke over Wisconsin.

Late in the second half, Jones came into himself to put the dagger into the Badgers. He hit a three pointer to give Duke the lead and one shortly after to send the Badgers to bed.

“There aren’t many situations where you are the eighth guy and they trust you to come in and hit a three in the national title game,” Allen told USA Today, about being a key off-the-bench player in the national championship game.

Duke came away with a huge victory against a hot Wisconsin team, who had beaten the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats in the semi-final game.

Duke seemed to shun any momentum Wisconsin to earn in the last two minutes, even with their best player, Okafor, held to 10 points.

The losses to North Carolina State and Miami look like a distant memory. The two losses to Notre Dame can be forgotten. Duke has ended its season in the best way possible: on top.

Bailey Zimmer
Bailey Zimmer, Staff Writer
Bailey Zimmer is a senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys writing sports pieces for the Tiger Times and The Claw. When Bailey is not in school, he is most likely watching baseball, hanging out with his friends, or watching his beloved Rams. His dream is to become a part of a baseball franchise and wants to become a businessman for an MLB team. Bailey is the first baseman for the EHS varsity baseball team, and helped the team get to the “Elite Eight” Super-Sectional game his junior year. Bailey hopes the team will get even farther this year. His dream has always been to attend the University of Missouri, however, he is still in the process in deciding between playing college baseball and attending Mizzou.