Rodgers Takes Home His Second MVP

Aaron Rodgers didn’t have quite the prolific numbers as he did in his 2011 MVP season. But perhaps it’s what the Green Bay Packers quarterback didn’t do to secure his second MVP award.

This season’s trophy rewarded Rodgers for a season in which he almost never threw the ball to the other team. Rodgers led the NFL in touchdown-to-interception ratio (38 TDs, 5 INTs), marking the second-best single-season ratio in NFL history among quarterbacks with at least 30 touchdown passes. What makes his ratio even more remarkable; he never threw an interception at home all season.

To further justify his MVP case, Rodgers finished second in passer rating (112.2) and in yards per attempt (8.43), and third in touchdown passes. Only one quarterback in the league finished in the top three in those four categories; the “baaaad maaaan from Green Bay” as Stephen A. Smith likes to call him.

Throughout the entire season, Rodgers and the Packer offense threatened opposing defenses. When Rodgers exited the regular season finale against the Detroit Lions after tearing his left calf, the fans of Lambeau Field collectively held their breath. With a division title on the line, the tough gunslinger returned to the game in the third quarter as Lambeau released echoing chants of “MVP, MVP.”

“I feel so fortunate to live out my dreams, year after year,” Rodgers said after accepting the award for a second time. Rodgers became just the ninth player in history to win multiple MVP awards, joining his predecessor Brett Favre, who was a three-time MVP.

Rodgers received 31 out of 50 votes from a nationwide panel of media members who regularly cover the league. NFL Defensive Player of the Year J.J. Watt (13) placed second in the voting after a dominating season in which he registered 20.5 sacks, four forced-fumbles and an interception.

The rest of the votes split between Dallas Cowboys teammates Tony Romo (two) and Demarco Murray (two), Patriots QB Tom Brady (one) and Seahawks linebacker Bobby Wagner (one).

“J.J. had an incredible year,” Rodgers said. “He scored three offensive touchdowns, two defensive touchdowns, had 20.5 sacks, and then Tony had an incredible year as well. It was a great year for the NFL, and I’m proud to receive the award.”

Rodgers went on to say that if he wins the award next year, he hopes he’s not at the ceremony to accept it, but rather, in the team hotel preparing for the Super Bowl.

Drew Bradley
Drew Bradley, Staff Writer
Drew Bradley is a senior at Edwardsville High School, where he is a main contributor to The Claw newsmagazine. Drew’s hobbies include watching every kind of sport and talking to his friends about them. He loves the Green Bay Packers, the Portland Trail Blazers and several baseball teams. Drew is a varsity golfer, and is looking for a state championship run this year. Drew likes to listen to several kinds of music, from A Tribe Called Quest to Hippie Sabotage to Sublime, though most of his favorite songs are of the ‘90s hip-hop genre. He also likes many kinds of movies. Drew loves to hang out with friends, as he is very friendly and talkative. He also runs a lawn care service. Drew is also interested in men’s fashion. Drew owns a Yorkshire terrier named Hershey, a fun-loving dog. He is Drew’s best friend. That is Drew Bradley in a nutshell.