Edwardsville Falls to Triad in Game One

Monday saw no school for the students, but a tough game for the EHS Tiger ice hockey team at the East Alton Ice Arena.

In the first game of a three game series, Triad defeated the Tigers 2-0. The Knights scored both of their goals in the third period.

In the first period, the Tigers were mainly on the defense with only having two shots on goal to an opposing seven.

The second period saw a drastic change within the Tigers’ offense. They kept the puck mainly in the attacking third but unfortunately could not find the back of the net, even with several power plays.

The third period was a very even match. Both talented teams fought hard to try to gain the upper hand, until Triad managed to sneak the puck between the Tigers’ goalie’s legs and into the net.

But the boys didn’t quit there. They were quick to react by taking the puck into Triad’s zone and taking several shots.

With a minute left in the game, Edwardsville pulled the goalie to get an extra attacking player. The Triad team saw the opportunity of an open net and took a wild shot, which found the back of the net. Now 2-0 with 34 seconds left, the Tigers put the goalie back onto the ice to try to maintain just a two point deficit.

“It was an unfortunate thing,” senior Zach Loehr said. “We had the puck in their zone for a long time and were taking shot after shot. They just got lucky that their shots made it in.”

In the locker room after the game, senior captains Drew Lewis, Leo Blandina and Loehr tried to keep the team optimistic instead of getting negative. “We told them that game one doesn’t mean anything,” Lewis said. “We still have two more games to play to come out on top.”

“We’re just making things more exciting,” Loehr said, with a smirk.

Connor Wright
Connor Wright, Sports Editor
Connor Wright is a Senior at Edwardsville High School. He enjoys playing soccer for EHS as well as writing for the Tiger Times in Journalism 2. Connor was born on May 9,1996 and has matured into a spontaneous young man. He plans to pursue a double major in journalistic writing and Biblical Studies with a minor in Spanish. He is looking at colleges right now and perfers to attend a Christian university such as Liberty University, Union, or Wake Forest. He enjoys the company of his friends and family.