U.S. Hockey Team Defeats Russians in Shootout

Ever since 1980 there has always been a rivalry on the ice against Russia and the U.S.  On Feb 15 the United States Hockey team fought to the finish in another memorable game in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.

When it comes to round play in men’s hockey, it doesn’t get much bigger than the U.S. vs. Russia. The most anticipated game in men’s hockey was all it was chalked up to be, with the United States scoring a 3-2 shootout win over the Russians.

After 60 minutes of regulation, then after five minutes of overtime, even after the three required shootout attempts for each team, the game was still all tied up.

St. Louis Blues player T.J. Oshie finally broke the ice, shooting in his fourth goal in the shootout stage.  Which happened to be all four of the Americans’ shootout goals, giving the U.S. team a 3-2 victory.

“My hands are a little tingling, my feet are tingling,” Oshie said afterward.

Russia grabbed an early lead, before the Americans responded with a pair of power play goals.  One in the second period, and another in the third to jump ahead.

Soon after, Russia’s Pavel Datsyuk netted his second goal to tie the score 2-2.

And with just under five minutes to go, Russia appeared to score a goal.  But after mulling it over, the referees called off this score because, before the shot went in, the net had moved off its moorings, barely.

This brought the five minute overtime period.  And with no goals scored, led to the shootout where Oshie dominated and brought home the victory for team U.S.A.

The Oshie fandom soon hit the wall, Oshie fever spread like a wild fire.  With tweets being sent out every second about the game.  Tweets like “T.J. Oshie, America’s newest folk hero.”

Stores all over St. Louis were sold out of Oshie gear in a matter of hours.

Oshie will certainly be welcome back home with open arms.

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.