Tigers Bump, Set and Spike for 2nd Place

Last weekend EHS girls’ volleyball hosted the 2013 Tiger Classic volleyball tournament and took 2nd place behind Mater Dei Catholic High School.

The Tiger Classic started in 1983 only as a three team round robin tournament and continues to grow by adding a new team each year.  This year the tournament had a team roster of 21.  There was no shortage of competition.

“The competition definitely varied,” junior Korrine Croft said, “As Saturday progressed, the teams kept getting better.  The semifinals and championship tested us as a team and as the rest of the season progresses so will our competition.”

Mater Dei has won this tournament for the past three years and retained their title this year.  “Mater Dei is one of those schools that have great athletes every year,” senior Katie Shashack, “We all know it’s going to be a battle going into it and we work hard to prepare for the game.”

Two EHS seniors finished the tournament with distinguished titles.  Senior Lynsey Wright was named the MVP (Most Valued Player) of the classic and senior Katie Shashack made the All-Tournament team.  “I was actually surprised because the MVP normally comes from the winning team so when they called my name I was surprised,” Wright said.

“I was very excited and honored to be a part of the All-Tournament Team,” Shashack said. “The coaches work hard to prepare us, and it’s a group effort when we achieve our goals.”

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.