Bloomberg’s Billions Couldn’t Buy The White House

Jacqueline Glenn, Co-Editor-in-Chief

America should breathe a sigh of relief right now. Mike Bloomberg, the billionaire with a history of racism and sexism, has ended his candidacy for the Democratic presidential nomination after winning only the American Samoa on Super Tuesday. 

He was a true wolf in sheep’s clothing—Donald Trump zipped into a Democrat suit. 

In addition to being obscenely rich, Bloomberg allegedly told one of his employees in 1998 that she had to “kill it”—referring to her unborn child—if she wanted to keep her job, The Wall Street Journal reported. He also reportedly called other female employees “fat broads” and “horse-faced lesbians.” 

Bloomberg downplayed these statements in a half-baked apology, stating that the victims of the cruel words merely “didn’t like a joke I told” in a statement to The Guardian.

Stu Loeser, his spokesman, issued an equally diminishing statement. 

“(Bloomberg) openly admits that his words have not always aligned with his values and the way he has led his life and some of what he has said is disrespectful and wrong,” Loeser told The Washington Post.

And Bloomberg is not too fond of nonwhite, non-Christian people, either. When he was the Republican mayor of New York City (he made a swift party switch just like someone else we know), he supported legislation that deliberately discriminated against ethnic minorities. 

“His police department’s ‘Demographics Unit’ mapped out Muslim American communities and infiltrated and spied on everything from kebab shops to Muslim student whitewater rafting trips,” The Guardian reported. 

The practice did not produce a single terrorism lead, which it was its supposed intention. 

And Bloomberg’s Stop-and-Frisk policy, which had police officers stopping and checking a person briefly for weapons, disproportionately targeted black and Hispanic people, according to The New York Times. 

Actions such as these illustrate that Bloomberg is completely antithetical to everything for which the Democratic Party stands. He cannot even operate his own company or his own city with integrity or decency, so America made the right choice in denying him a chance at the presidency.