Smug MAGA Kid Emulates Trump’s Corrupt Ideals

Anna Farrar, News Editor

A video has blown up over social media showing a group of white teenagers harassing a Native American man after the Indigenous Peoples March. The Covington High School students were in Washington for the March for Life, which draws in tens of thousands of pro-life protesters.

The man, Nathan Phillips, is also a veteran and holds an annual ceremony honoring Native American service members in Arlington National Cemetery, according to Slate. Phillips was beating a drum and chanting a traditional song while one teenager stands inches in front of him, smirking. The rest of the high school students cheer and hoot in the back.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Covington and Covington High School released a statement issuing an apology to Phillips and all Native Americans, indicating there would be “appropriate action, up to and including expulsion.”

These images were met with disgust and horror by social media users and people across America. These kids were being disrespectful and racist. However, what is frightening is their unabashed shame. The kids were being filmed and were even filming the incident themselves. Is America really at a point that these kids don’t feel the need to censor themselves, or even believe that there will be no consequences?

Phillips released an Instagram video responding to the controversy.

“When I was there singing, I heard them saying ‘Build that wall, build that wall,'” Phillips said through tears. “This is indigenous lands. We’re not supposed to have walls here. We never did.”

These kids and their actions are just a byproduct of today’s government. Whether or not the president intended this, his name and campaign is synonymous with racism, extreme nativism and intimidation. Trump shutting down the government for a month to build a wall and calling Sen. Elizabeth Warren by the racist nickname, “Pocahontas,” just adds to the negativity towards diversity and inclusion in this country.

We can’t blame one disrespectful teenager for all that’s wrong with this country. Trump’s ideals are poisoning this country and these kids are the symptoms, not the disease.