Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Back to Article
Back to Article

Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Senior Grant Schaefer shoots a basketball in a last minute shootout between two players on the varsity boys basketball team against two players on the varsity girls basketball team. Students look uninterested in the background.

Rachel Goebel

Rachel Goebel

Rachel Goebel

Jessica Fosse, Life Editor

A plethora of performing arts clubs practice for weeks on their routine or music piece. Rehearsal after rehearsal the groups go through, just for the student body to stare straight down at their phones.

So why do we still have the winter assembly?

Is it a way to take stress off the students before the three days of finals the following week? Is it supposed to unify us as a school with the use of cheesy holiday music?

The only thing the assembly produces in an hour of disinterested students.

Student Council puts together the assembly and includes such events: introducing foreign exchange, showing the homecoming week spirit video, setting up games for sports teams to play against another and appreciating musical performance groups.

The foreign exchange students have been attending EHS for a semester they should be introduced and, of course, students want to see the spirit week video, since the whole school essentially participated. But sadly, the video itself lacked organization.

The music didn’t sync to most of the lips, a few songs repeated and the video lasted over 10 minutes. Enthusiasm for the video was quickly laughed at and lost.

And with interest gone, Dance Team, Color Guard, Souls of Art and Choir didn’t receive the attention they deserved for their work.

Then seniors on the varsity sports team run around in holiday-themed games. So if you don’t have any idea who these people are, why should you care in the first place?

When the applause for each group is miniscule and each student’s head is facing towards their phone, the winter assembly is nothing but a time-waster.

However, Stuco puts in a lot of effort to include different groups into the show and they spend weeks planning and preparing. The group shouldn’t get discredited because of the assembly’s failure.

Originally, Stuco had advertised students to make their own “TikTok” video to be played at the assembly. It appears the idea got cut, from possibly lack of volunteers, but the student body wouldn’t have enjoyed watching people lip sync a second time.

And towards the end of the assembly, their plan ended sooner than expected and students disrespectfully began leaving before the dismissal bell because they didn’t want to be there in the first place.

Hopefully, no one has to suffer through the winter assembly again. But it doesn’t seem that EHS will be saying goodbye to it soon.

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

A&E

The History of Smash and how Ultimate is Uniting a Community

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

A&E

Billie Eilish Upcoming Album Set to Amaze

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Sports

Tiger Wrestling Wows at Cheesehead Tournament

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Sports

Dance Team Hosts Competition, Looks Toward Sectionals

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Student Life

‘J-Squad’ Takes on Chicago

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Sports

Tigers Football Continues Postseason Success

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

News

Susan Converse Named Illinois Teacher of the Year

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Sports

Field Hockey Sticks it Out Through Double Overtime

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

News

Lipe, Hemings Crowned Homecoming Royalty

• Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction

Sports

Tiger Football Beats West on Senior Night, Homecoming Game

Winter Assembly Gets Cold Reaction