Leave Your Resolutions in 2018

Cierra Veizer, Sports Editor

It’s that time of year again. The time when everyone scrambles to formulate a plan to better themselves in the dead period between Christmas and New Year’s Eve.

But if you recognize that a change needs to be made in your life, don’t wait until the new year to make that change. Jump off the bandwagon and do it then and there.

If we were to pick a day to start making a difference in our lives, Jan. 1 would be among the worst. It’s the day we wake up, still sleepy, and have to drag ourselves to the coffee machine or Red Bull IV drip. Freshly hydrated, we blink into the cold eyes of a January morning and try to convince ourselves that today is the day.

The day to what? Stop smoking? Change career paths? Lose weight? Sorry, but it’s not happening.

Even if you somehow manage to resist the Christmas candy and carb-heavy holiday leftovers, most of the time you’ll reach for that cupcake or opt out of the gym to watch “The Bachelorette” in your spaghetti-stained sweatpants within a week of the new year. And when the resolutions, shockingly, don’t work or you fail at them, you feel like a loser. According to a survey by Statistic Brain Research Institute, 92 percent of New Year’s resolutions fail.

I’m not saying that all New Year’s resolutions are worthless, and you shouldn’t abandon your desire to be healthier, take up badminton or learn to play the keytar, but you can’t use an “all or nothing” approach. Some targets will need modification or aren’t reachable. And if you’re expecting to lose 100 pounds and get washboard abs by your high school reunion in mid-February, you may want to reconsider your goal.

Most people don’t remember that change takes time, perseverance and commitment, and then they’re disheartened when they don’t look like Beyoncé in March after binging on fried Twinkies and dirt cake at an office party.

So what did you promise yourself that you’d do this year? Quit your job? Join a band? Move out of your mother’s basement?

Well I hate to break it to you, but you should probably reconsider your resolution.