Decisions, Decisions: How to Choose the Right College for You

Jane Thompson, Co-Editor in Chief

When you begin the college search process, the bountiful options given to you can be daunting. Location, class size, student-to-professor ratio and cost are just a few things to take into account when choosing the right school for you.

When deciding where you want to spend the next four years of your life, location is one of the most important considerations. If you are a city-person stuck in the middle of nowhere, you will likely not have an enjoyable college experience. Similarly, if you prefer the relaxed environment of a more rural setting, a city campus may prove to be uncomfortable for you.

The size of the school is another important aspect of the college search process. You have to know yourself well enough to be able to decide between a larger state university or a smaller private college. Attending a large school can be intimidating for introverted people, and it is easy to get lost in the everyday hustle and bustle of campus life.

Big schools have advantages as well, however, as they provide students with an endless amount of opportunities both academically and socially. These schools usually provide students with more course-selection options and have larger classes, which allow for a greater variety of people and opinions.

Small schools also have their own set of pros and cons. While they can create a more welcoming environment for first-year students, they can ultimately leave students longing to expand their horizons and get out of their small university setting.

Small universities also allow for more discussion based courses and more one-on-one time with professors, as classes are generally smaller. This opportunity can keep students fully engaged in class discussions and allow professors to keep track of their attendance. These schools also use professors to teach classes rather than relying on graduate assistants to perform this duty.

Cost is one of the biggest deciding factors when selecting a college. While not true for all private colleges, they are typically more generous with financial aid and scholarships because of the private funding they receive.

While larger universities give out smaller scholarships, their tuition typically begins at a lower price than private universities making them a more affordable option.

Choosing a university is the most impactfull decision of a student’s career, and a prospective student must take all aspects of a school into account before making a final decision. With hundreds of colleges in the United States, there is at least one that meets all your academic and economic values and places you in a pleasurable environment