How to Deal with Back to School Stress

Hannah Wente, Co-Editor-In-Chief

School can get intense quickly.  With homework, clubs, and athletics back in full swing, students can quickly find themselves overwhelmed.  Here are some ways to deal with the back to school stress and truly focus on making the most of this school year.

Stay Organized: One of the easiest ways to beat stress is to stay on top of assignments. The best way to do that is to stay organized.

“Write everything down. Plan everything out. Stay organized,” sophomore Delaney Doran said.

This way you will not forget assignments or be unprepared for tests, which obviously add more stress. Plus homework will seem less daunting if you know exactly what you need to do each night.

Don’t Overextend Yourself: Do not bite off more than you can chew. Know your limits.  If you are constantly trying to do twelve different things at once, you are no help to anybody. Commit completely to a few things you love instead of stretching yourself too thin.

Get Enough Sleep: Only 31 percent of teens get the recommended eight hours of sleep, according to the CDC.  Not getting enough sleep raises stress levels and makes it more difficult to actually focus and learn in class, so make sleep a priority.

Take a Break: It is a good idea to have a calming hobby to turn to when you get stressed. Try something creative or getting some exercise.

“I paint and binge watch Netflix. Usually together,” senior Tara Johnson said.

Hobbies like these will help you blow off steam when you start to freak out over school.

Don’t Forget to Have Fun: School is definitely important, but make time for fun, too. You will be more well-adjusted if you let loose sometimes.

“On weekends, I like to not think about school, do fun things,” junior Kenzy Probst said.

Make time to hang out with friends and do activities you enjoy.  Humans are social creatures, after all.

With everything that students at Edwardsville High School do, it is easy to get stressed out. School and activities are important, but you also need to keep yourself healthy.  If you follow these stress-relieving tips, it will be easier to have a great year.