Let it Go: 6 Habits to Lose Before Winter Hits

Face it. You’re dreading winter as much as I am. Less daylight, numb fingers and noses, and commuting through snow and ice all sound terrible to me. Here are eight habits to ditch before we reach subzero temperatures.

1.   Basketball shorts. Okay, this one seems like a no brainer, right? Then why do I always see a handful of guys sporting this look during the winter anyway? Look, if you’re gonna try and be all “macho” by sticking to one signature look throughout the year, please include common sense in your thought process. It’s cold outside and you’re in denial.

2.   Procrastination. I’ll be the first to admit this one. I’ve gotten extra lazy over the summer, and you probably have, too. But there are plenty of deadlines that will sneak up on you if you keep brushing them off—Homecoming, semester exams, and for some students, college applications. These things cannot afford the back burner, and unfortunately life only gets more hectic from here. Procrastination may be fun now, but will definitely not be fun later.

3.   Your sleep cycle. Be prepared to throw it out the window entirely. Once winter really arrives, you’ll feel like it’s 9 p.m. when it’s actually 5:30 p.m. The world gets dark and drowsy early in the evening, and you’ll be left with only the distant memory of how you took evening swims until summer darkness came at…9 p.m. Summer, how we long for you.

4.   Your eating habits. It’s time to cut back on the ice cream and stock up on the hot chocolate. But ice cream is good, you say? But it doesn’t matter if you eat ice cream year round? Please stop. Eating frozen food doesn’t make you cool, even if it is winter. If you’re going to continue to do it, then go grab a cone with basketball shorts dude, and you two can be miserable and in denial together.

5.   Crop tops and messy buns. Guys, you aren’t the only ones who dress without common sense. Sometimes I see girls wearing crop tops or short shorts during the winter. Say goodbye to those messy buns, too; it may look cute in the comfort of your bathroom mirror, but once you step outside and the frigid air hits the back of your neck, you’ll regret it. Instead, it’s time to let the mane flow free. Bust out those cute sweatshirts. Be kind to yourself.

6.   Laziness. Isn’t that procrastination? Not quite. I’m sure you were content with staying in bed for days on end during summer, but that’s not going to fly in the winter. There’s a surprise snow day when we wake up in the morning for school? Then plan to going sledding later on with some friends. Holiday break has arrived? Have a snowball fight with your sibling(s) or shovel your neighbor’s driveway. Moving around is going to ward off the chill and make life better as opposed to being cooped up inside all winter long. I know it’s cold and dark and your bed is so warm, but stay active.

Remember to dress appropriately, be smart and be safe. Winter is coming. With these tips in mind, you’re almost guaranteed to have a warm, wonderful and hopefully white winter.

Sam Jueckstock
Sam Jueckstock, Staff Writer
Sam Jueckstock is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She is the Views Editor for The Claw and Co-editor-in-chief of The Tiger yearbook. She considers the journalism room as her “second home,” and wishes the room could upgrade to a cubicle layout. She is a black belt in Taekwondo, is artistic, and is a font snob. Out of all the animals in the world, she enjoys dogs the most. Oreos are “America’s favorite cookie,” but her least favorite cookie. She uses Android religiously and hates Apple products. After high school, Sam wants to pursue criminology and eventually work for the FBI. When she’s not writing in the journalism room, she enjoys conversing in German with her best friend Caitlin Rutz.