Upperclassmen Number One In Schoolastic Food Chain

Since the time we’ve been in elementary and middle school, things have changed. There are new teachers, classes and lunch options. But one thing that will never change about any school is the social food chain. Just like in an environmental food chain; the biggest and the fiercest are at the top.

In scholastic terms, the oldest students own the throne and rule the school.

In this four year journey known as high school, being an underclassman is irritating. Getting picked on, pushed and shoved and suffering ridicule gets old and tiresome. But as soon as your junior year comes, you are no longer considered an underclassman, and the gates of heaven have opened up to you.

There are substantial differences from being an underclassman and upperclassman.

Some people might argue that there are only a few years difference between the two and therefore there is really no difference, but age is just a number.

Being an upperclassman means you have more experience in the high school world. Even though you only have one or two more years’ worth of experience, that’s almost 10 years in high school language. Think of how much you learn within one year of high school. You learn to keep yourself moving in the hallways, to not procrastinate and to choose your friends wisely.

Not only do upperclassmen have more experience, but they also have more privileges.

Upperclassmen get authority over main lot parking. When the administration goes through parking pass forms, they take care of those from upperclassmen first so that they get the best spots.

The underclassmen are taken care of last and will most likely have to park in the sport’s complex across the street, which can really get old.

After Homecoming has died down, the next big thing to look forward to is Prom. And who gets to go to Prom? That’s right, upperclassmen.

Sure and underclassman can go if they get invited, but they might just spend their time waiting on a proposal while the upperclassmen have no worries.

Cristina Rivera-Bosques
Cristina Rivera-Bosques, Editor-in-Chief
Cristina Rivera-Bosques is a senior at Edwardsville High School and is the Co Editor-in-Chief for the Tiger Times and The Claw.  She enjoys shopping, reading intriguing articles, and listening to Beyoncé.  Her favorite class at school is Journalism 2 of course, as well as any writing-intensive courses.  She works at The Cup and at the St. Louis Zoo. Visit her, and maybe she'll give you a free cupcake. She hopes to be successful enough to double major in Journalism and Psychology at Indiana University Bloomington or the University of Missouri. Enjoy reading through the site!