Texters Gone Wild

Buzz, buzz, buzz.  Wait… who just said that?  What are we talking about now?  Okay, I’m so confused.  Why did I ever join this group message?

Today’s teens communicate via Twitter, Facebook and many other social media sites, but mostly it’s through our phones.  A feature that many cell phones have is the ability to participate in group messages. You choose who you want in your message and they all receive it at the same time.

There are many benefits to group messages such as giving certain people information and not having to send multiple text messages over and over again.

This also prevents you from forgetting to send the message to someone and keeps everyone constantly updated on events.  They are efficient and convenient.

However, I personally think the bad overlaps the good in this case.  When I say it keeps everyone involved, I really mean it.  Your phone is constantly buzzing. Trying to get a word in becomes mission impossible, so many people respond at once, making the conversation hard to follow.

If you’re like me, you probably get confused after missing two minutes of the conversation and get lazy and don’t even try to comprehend what the conversation is about.  I usually spend my time trying figure out how to remove myself from it.

If you do decide to keep up, you have to watch what you say because not just one person is seeing your message—several people are.

It also becomes your battery’s worst enemy.  You can go from 100 percent battery to 15 percent in a matter of minutes and if you don’t have a charger nearby, then tough luck.

If you need to get information out quickly to a number of people, I would recommend using a group message. If you are just looking to talk with friends, put the phone down and go make plans to do something outside of the technology world.

Group messages may be funny and entertaining, but in the end, your phone will be dead and you’ll be exhausted from trying to keep up. Now go forward this to all your friends.

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.