I’m YOUR Customer

I wish we could return to the days when I could pay for a product and use it how I wish. If I want to use a refrigerator as a footrest, that’s my own prerogative. Use a butter knife as a means of opening a disc tray; why not? How about a strobe light as a turn signal? Maybe that’s too far. But I wish I could just return to the days when I was allowed to take a battery out of my phone. I am talking to you, Apple.

I understand why everyone loves them. The products are easy to use, have exclusive content and market themselves as the leaders in alternative innovation. They’ve been doing this since Y2K. I’m just not sold. I see a company that, and reasonably so, wants your money.

I’m not saying there is anything wrong with capitalism, but they just ruined their product in a way that I, as the customer, cannot ignore. They stopped selling it to me. They protect it in a way that I cannot tamper with, script or use it in any way that they do not choose. I don’t feel respected. I want to choose what I can and cannot do with my $300 piece of plastic I just paid for.

For those saying that I am just a complacent computer nerd who is grasping onto what is left of my power, you are correct. That does not mean I am wrong. It does not make me less angry. It does not make me want to pay them more. It is just a reason behind my rage and to me, Apple has not delivered to my high standards as a customer.

Sam Goggin
Sam Goggin, Staff Writer
Sam is a junior year writer for Tiger Times. He is an active participant in debate club. Sam works at Edwardsville Gun Club. He listens to many types of music, usually electronic in nature. His favorite book is A Fault in Our Stars and his favorite movie is Spirited Away.  Sam was born on January 2, 1997. He intends on getting a doctorate in philosophy and pursuing a professorship.