Ramaswamy Drops Out

AP Images
Candidates Gov. Nikki Haley and Vivek Ramaswamy argue at the initial Republican primary debate on Aug. 23.

After a disappointing finish in the Iowa Caucuses, GOP candidate Vivek Ramaswamy suspended his 2024 presidential campaign on Tuesday night.

While most voters labeled Ramaswamy as a “long shot” to win the Republican presidential nomination, the early suspension of his campaign came as a surprise.

Ramaswamy finished in a distant fourth in the Iowa Caucuses. Former President Donald Trump finished in first, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis finished in second and former U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley finished in third.

According to CBS News, Ramaswamy said he called Trump Monday evening to congratulate him on his win in Iowa, saying that he “will have my full endorsement for the presidency.”

With Ramaswamy now officially out of the race, the Republican primary race consists of three major candidates: Trump, DeSantis and Haley.

Trump is still the heavy favorite to win. ABC News reports that he won 51% of the vote in Iowa and swept all counties but one.

However, DeSantis had a surprising performance in Iowa, earning 21% of the votes. Haley came in third in Iowa with only 8% of the votes.

DeSantis and Haley are neck and neck in the national polls, according to 538. The second-place finish in Iowa could prove to be important, as both try to catch up to Trump.

With Iowa in the books and New Hampshire on the horizon, DeSantis or Haley will need to pull off an upset in an upcoming state to try and have a chance to win.

Until then, the Republican presidential nomination will continue to be Trump’s to lose.

Trump is still projected to win New Hampshire with 46% of the vote, according to 538. However, Haley is not far behind with 33% of the vote and has an imposing lead on DeSantis, who sits in third with only 6% of the vote.

Zach Cohn
Zach Cohn, Staff Writer
Zach is a junior and second year journalism student. He has been a member of the Edwardsville Hockey team for 4 years and is also a member of the EHS broadcasting club where he broadcasts EHS football, basketball and baseball games.