The One Where Matthew Perry is Remembered, Respected

Matthew Perry arrives at the premiere of “The Invention of Lying” in Los Angeles on Monday, Sept. 21, 2009. Photo courtesy of AP Newsroom.

“Friends” star Matthew Perry, who shot to international fame after his portrayal of Chandler Bing, died on Oct. 28, in his hot tub at the age of 54. 

According to NBC News, authorities were able to rule out foul play but have yet to confirm a cause of death.

Aside from his portrayal of the lovable character, Perry garnered support for his public discussion of his struggles with drug and alcohol addiction. 

Just last year, Perry published a book that outlined his various hardships in life, along with several “near death” medical emergencies from his drug use. 

Perry told the New York Times that his substance abuse began at age 14, with Budweiser, then “ballooned” to include vodka by the quart, Vicodin, Xanax and OxyContin.

“I would fake back injuries. I would fake migraine headaches. I had eight doctors going at the same time,” Perry said to the NYT. “I would wake up and have to get 55 Vicodin that day and figure out how to do it. When you’re a drug addict, it’s all math.”

Perry later explained to the reporter, “…it was like heaven for me, but that’s no longer the case.”

Two years ago, when the “Friends” reunion aired, Perry had been 18 months sober. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, there were no drugs found at the scene aside from prescribed medication for his pre-existing health problems.

Perry has also tested negative for a meth or fentanyl overdose, according to the initial toxicology report. 

After an autopsy report released on Nov. 1, the lack of water in his lungs confirmed that Perry had not drowned.

In response to the news, there was a shared sentiment among fans about how the actor’s passing would affect their experience of watching the show.

“I think his death is so monumental because everyone knew who he was. When you thought of ‘Friends,’ you thought of him,” junior Sophie Byron said. “It also hurts just as much because you know who is grieving and you know that the whole cast is affected by it.”

Fans of Perry’s work grieve the loss and feel a great sense of sorrow for those close to him. 

“When I first heard about [his passing] I was really upset. He played my favorite character, and it is sad to know he is gone,” said junior Addy Yamnitz.

The news of Perry’s passing stirred up a range of emotions among students. As the news of his passing reverberated, Yamnitz feels as though this will make it hard to keep watching the show. 

“I definitely think this will change how I watch the show in some ways,” said Yamnitz. “For me, it will be hard to see him on the screen knowing he’s not here anymore.”

Veda Kommineni
Veda Kommineni, Staff Writer
Veda Kommineni is a first-year journalism student but has spent three years on the yearbook staff. Outside of class, Veda plays varsity tennis for Edwardsville, does robotics, and is the editor-in-chief- of the yearbook. Her favorite classes have always been relating to literature, and she can't wait to pursue journalism.