Students React to Prom Cancelation

Abi Zajac, Opinion Editor

It sucks; that is the consensus from the class of 2021 about the cancelation of prom.

For some, the call-off email was expected, for others a shock, an undelivered promise, but for almost all, it was a disappointment.

On March 12, Dr. Stuart announced the school’s decision to cancel prom for juniors and seniors due to COVID-19 restrictions. He cited “parameters” such as enforcing mask-wearing and social distancing laid out by the Collinsville Gateway Center as making hosting a prom not worthwhile.

While conditions are understandable, some seniors are still upset by the school’s decision.

“I understand why they did it and it’s important to put safety first, I just wish they didn’t’ tell us they were planning one only to take it away again,” senior Jordyn Ginestra said. “It just seems insensitive considering how much has already been taken from the class of 2021.”

Imagining a prom where students would sign up for several hour shifts to mingle in a room with no dance floor or food did not sound enjoyable, so the school decided to replace the event with “fun activities” that student council will create for the “senior class to take part in… the last few months of the year.”

Many seniors who have dresses and suits hanging in their closets from the year prior believe these “fun activities,” will not remedy the loss of prom.

“I’m frustrated because I really looked forward to it,” senior Logan Swanner said. “I know having it wasn’t the most realistic idea, but as someone who has seen my sibling get to go to one, it frustrates me that I don’t get that chance.”

Others are willing to take the loss of prom if it means they can have in-person graduation, which the administration is still “developing plans” for, according to Dr. Stuart’s email.

“An in-person graduation will be the payoff after all this hard work. We have made it through 13 years of school,” senior Sondra Scoggin said. “We didn’t even get a chance at prom, and never will. An in-person graduation is the gift that would somewhat balance it. It’s the light at the end of the tunnel.”