StuCo Unveils Homecoming Theme

Jacqueline Glenn, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Glittering lights, hand-painted skylines and vibrant faux graffiti will greet EHS students on the evening of Oct. 12.

StuCo members announced this year’s homecoming theme, “A Night in the City”, on Aug. 26. Although the theme was only recently revealed, StuCo members have been developing it for months.

In May, council members suggested several themes and held votes to narrow down the choices, StuCo’s Officer of Council Records junior Jack Wise said. Then, once the choices dwindled to six, each officer created a presentation for one of the themes, and the council conducted a final vote.

“I think this theme sticks with people because … all the decorations will be unique and will add a lot of color to homecoming,” senior StuCo member Marica Williams said.

Wise was initially unenthused about “A Night in the City.”

“Personally, I just think it’s a decent theme. But I think that there’s a lot of potential in it,” Wise said. “[StuCo] will have to do things big.”

StuCo sponsor and EHS Spanish teacher Melissa Beck remained mysterious about just how StuCo will accomplish that.

“There are a lot of surprises that will be revealed during the actual homecoming, and I think those will be my favorite things about this year,” Mrs. Beck said, a sly smile on her face.

Senior Elise Griffin is so excited about “A Night in the City” that she plans to coordinate her homecoming outfit with the theme.

When she heard the news during the morning announcements, Griffin said she exclaimed to her friend that “this will be the best homecoming yet!”

Wise hopes to execute a successful homecoming while anticipating the stress that accompanies the task.

“There’s a big payoff at the end whenever you see everything that you’ve been working for up in the gym,” Wise said. “And sometimes people come up to us and say, ‘hey, I liked this thing.’”