Mr. Battle to Become Administrator at EHS

Joshua Perry, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Marvin Battle, the director of EHS’s band program for 19 years, has announced that he is taking an administrative position at the high school next year.

“I’ve always been a person who likes challenges and being an Administrator is a huge challenge,” Mr. Battle said. “I’m a person who works hard to make a difference in my student’s lives and I am hoping can take that same passion and help many more students beyond just my band students.”  

According to senior band member Emilio Carrion, many who knew Mr. Battle have been expecting this career shift for a long time.

“It’s always been a rumor that floated around at the beginning of every season…Battle had been getting offers to switch to administration for the past couple of years but kept turning them down,” Carrion said.

Still, Mr. Battle’s exit was a shock to many, according to senior band member Lindsey Lucas.

“The fact that he was leaving was a super tough pill to swallow,” Lucas said. “He is just such a good director and cares so much about the kids in the program.”

Lucas said that Mr. Battle has been an invaluable instructor in the music program at EHS and a huge influence in her own development as a musician.

“He taught me to have confidence in my abilities, whether that be playing an instrument, marching an insane step size, or even taking on a high responsibility role as drum major,” Lucas said.

Junior band member Colleen McCracken said that his encouragement and charisma have been a constant presence since freshman year.

“It takes a lot of work to learn a piece of music, but watching him dance around when we play it makes it all worth it,” she said.

Mr. Battle still plans on being involved in the band program by helping out with the fall marching show and supporting his son, sophomore Brandon Battle. He said that this is by no means a goodbye.

“When you teach a class where you have an opportunity to have kids for 4 years, you get a chance to know the students on a more personal level,” Mr. Battle said. “You get to know their families and create a bond that is like no other.”

And according to McCracken, that bond is something that endures.

“He taught us the value of music and music education,” McCracken said. “Even if some music is not a career path, our lives are forever impacted by our time in the music program.”