Viox Places 2nd in Art Center Contest

Anna Farrar, News Editor

Twenty-eight student artists were able to showcase their original pieces in the Southwest Conference Art Competition last week. The annual contest is hosted by the Edwardsville Art Center, located in Edwardsville High School.

Student artists from Alton, Belleville East, Belleville West, Collinsville, East St. Louis, Edwardsville and O’Fallon Township high schools presented pieces in varying forms, including mixed media, painting, photography and more.

In the team standings, Belleville West High School placed first, Alton High School placed second and Belleville East High School placed third, all receiving Southwest Conference awards.

Though Edwardsville did not place overall, junior Ellie Viox stood out in the competition, placing second for her painting. A photography piece titled “Wishing I Were Somewhere Else” by Alton High School student Erin Hillery took the championship. Viox’s piece, titled “Prepare for Game Day,” was an acrylic painting of her own softball cleats, jersey and a visor.

“(My cleats) are filled with memories of the game that helped make me who I am,” Viox said. “I couldn’t think of a better way to express an important part of my life.”

Viox conceived and created the piece last year in her painting class. She’s anticipating taking AP Art Studio next year with Ms. Spinka.

“Our assignment was an acrylic painting that gave insight to ourselves by including our shoes,” Viox said. “I’ve never been one for owning tons of shoes; the only ones I own that have true value to me are my cleats.”

According to Viox, her inspiration for the piece stemmed from her love of softball. When she’s not drawing or painting, Viox also plays varsity softball for EHS.

To see Viox’s or many of the other artists’ pieces, all entries to the Southwest Conference will be on display at the Edwardsville Art Center until Dec. 29. The EAC is located at the end of the D-wing hallway.