Health Occupation Students Attend HOSA, 5 Advance to Nationals

Jade Weber, News Editor

Last weekend, 26 Health Occupations Club students dressed in pantsuits and bowties flocked to Decatur for the state HOSA competition—and 24 of them placed in the top 10 in their categories.

HOSA – Future Health Professionals, formerly Health Occupation Students of America – is a group of “future healthcare professionals from middle school up to college age,” according to senior and HOSA chair Morgan Ash.

Ash said HOSA plays a big part in her life, even outside of the club.

“HOSA is a great way to explore potential careers, network and have a really fun time with like-minded people,” Ash said. “It’s very important because it has played a big role on my mindset and plans for the future.”

For competitive events, there is a state and a national level of leadership conferences, where many skill-based to team-and-leadership based events are held. If one of the top three finishers, a student can compete at the international level.

Ash, who placed third in the Healthy Lifestyle competition, is one of five EHS students moving on to the international conference in Florida in June. According to senior and Health Occupations Club Fundraising Chair Luniva Singh, other placers are senior and Med. Occ. President Hira Naqvi, freshman Natalie Loveridge, freshman Gayathri Kondepati and senior Amber Sommer.

Junior Payton Roberts placed in the top 10 with her partner for Health Career Display, and even though this year was her first time attending HOSA, she already has plans to return next year.

“It sounded really fun, and I knew it would be a great experience for me,” Roberts said. “It was really nice to bond with other students in Med. Club and meet a lot of other people.”

According to Roberts, not only is HOSA a competition, but it’s also a social event. When a student is not competing, he or she can watch presentations or even work some of the events. After awards, HOSA hosts a big dance, and almost everyone goes.

“We all had a really good time, and it was nice getting to know everyone outside of school,” Roberts said.

According to Ash, HOSA is the “basis for the entire club,” so members raise money each year through events like the Princess Tea Party to attend HOSA. They also raise money to donate to HOSA charities and contribute to nationwide efforts.

Singh, who placed last year but not this year, is happy with how she performed at HOSA.

“It was a great experience,” Singh said. “I made great memories with my friends, and I’m thankful for the opportunity.”