Students Participate in Illinois High School Theater Festival

Devin Kane, Co-Editor-In-Chief

Last year the EHS drama department took center stage at the Illinois Theater Festival with their performance of Harold Pinter’s “Celebration.” This year there were only two Tigers on stage but that didn’t mean they were alone in representing EHS at the largest and oldest non-competitive theater festival in the world.

Drama students selected by program director Mrs. Kate Motley made the trip to Illinois State University last Thursday to take part in the 40th annual Illinois Theater Festival. An event known worldwide, the festival is a showcase of 25 high school productions and over 150 workshops.

“There’s a schedule of shows and different workshops all day that are focused on the different aspects of being a thespian,” senior Maddie Litterst said.

Last year, EHS’s fall performance of “Celebration” was one of the 25 feature productions students came from all over the state to see. Because the organization limits schools to one production every four years, the trip this year was only as spectators.

“Performing is really cool and you get to share this amazing show that you have worked really hard on with theater kids that just love everything and even if you make a mistake they don’t care,” senior Kevin Connelly said. “As a spectator it’s a lot of fun because you just spend every hour going show to show and seeing amazing talent or to workshops to hone your skills and no matter what you do, it’s a lot of fun.”

Last year’s experiences brought a greater appreciation for this year’s trip and the shows they saw.

“Last year was an amazing experience, but it was a lot of work,” Litterst said. “It was nice to be able to relax and appreciate the work of everyone around us. Because we all knew how much work went into taking a show, we all could appreciate their efforts more.”

However, there were two Tigers who still got to take the stage at this year’s festival. Junior Maddy Foster was part of the ensemble and Senior Savannah Modesitt was a part of the stage crew for the all-state performance of “Rent.”

Both Modesitt and Foster have put in hours of work traveling to and from Chicago each month for practices.

“I have heard about their different experiences for these six months so I was so excited [to see Rent]. It was so amazing. Everyone in it was so talented,” Litterest said.

EHS student in attendance were able to attend a performance Rent before the left Saturday, seeing the production they had only heard about.

“It was comforting knowing that my drama family was out there supporting me,” Foster said. “[It] gave me an extra bit of energy for the run of the show.”

The festival brings together schools and students from across the state to learn about theater but the lessons students walk away with are much deeper and will effect them much longer than their time on stage will last.
“I’ve learned the importance of being yourself,” Litterest said. “At the festival, there are many different types of people. Still, no one cares. Everyone is so supportive of each other and who they want to be.”

EHS