Project: Fashion Flaunts Creative Spring Styles

While New York and Paris have their runway shows, EHS’s Project: Fashion held its own fashion show at the Wildey Theater on Feb. 26.

After planning since the beginning of the school year, the club was rewarded with the sight of a full house.

“The fashion show went over and above my expectation. I’m really proud of the girls and guys for working hard all year,” said club sponsor Tiffany Preston.

To prepare, Project: Fashion fundraised to pay for the Marquee Room at the Wildey, contacted retail stores to borrow clothes for the show, and held auditions for the models that would walk in the show. Senior Colleen Semmler donated her time to bake desserts to bring to the show.

A team of Mary Kay make-up artists helped the models with their make-up for the runway and even donated samples in the audience’s gift bags.

The show consisted of six different collections; three of them were designed by EHS students.

Seniors Paige Gilliland and Tori Johnston and freshman Cassidy Winters each designed their own lines.

Winters started planning her line by playing with shapes and fabrics to find which ones looked good together.

Johnston spent about three months working on her line and was mostly inspired by the color blue.

Gilliland plans on majoring in fashion design in either New York or Chicago. Her dream is to design special occasion wear or bridal couture.

The runway models were coached by senior Katie S. Anderson. They met once a week to practice their runway technique and prepare for the show.

Freshman Emily Lange prepared on her own time by practicing walking in heels in her basement and watching runway videos.

Supportive friends of the models attended the show. Senior Kayla Magruder went to the fashion show because many of her friends were involved in it. “It was better than I expected; I was impressed,” she said.

The show’s success is likely to attract new Project: Fashion members.

“I really like fashion, and I’m considering joining Project: Fashion next year,” junior Jordan Germer said.