Oh, Baby!

Shows like Teen Mom and 16 and Pregnant have recently been putting the spotlight on teen pregnancy.  Some might even say these shows have made light of the responsibility level that is needed to raise a child.  If you have ever wondered what it would be like to take care of a baby for a weekend, you are in luck!

The Child Development class provides each student with this experience.  “Babies are cute and fun, but it all changes when you have to put the baby’s needs before yours,” says Child Development teacher Tina Thornberry.  The fake babies, or Baby Think it Over, are as real as it can get.  Mrs. Thornberry explains, “The dolls have computer chips and you actually have to feed them for a certain amount of time, burp them, and change their diaper.” 

From someone who has already done this project, Senior Haley Zeier says, “My advice would be to treat it like it is real. If you just act like it is a simulator, you are not going to learn anything from it.”

Junior Alison McDaniel tells the worst and best parts of the fake baby project “The worst was having to get up in the middle of the night.  The best part was the overall experience, so I will know what to do in the future.”  Sophomore Kristen Mendez says, “Having a baby is a big responsibility, and teens should not be parents.”

Mrs. Thornberry also states, “Students write a reflection on the experience and state that even though they want kids they now realize that they are not mature enough to handle the responsibility to be a parent.”