Juice Wrld Returns Without Disappointing

Ryan Ash, Staff Writer

Chicago rapper Juice Wrld dropped his newest album, Death Race for Love, last Friday.

The album follows Juice Wrld’s only two commercial projects, his freshman album Goodbye and Good Riddance and his collaborative album with Future, Wrld on Drugs.

While Goodbye and Good Riddance was a relative mainstream success with several songs breaking into the Billboard Hot 100 and his song, “Lucid Dreams,” going viral, Wrld on Drugs got a lukewarm reception.

Toting both a hit album and a forgettable collab, Juice Wrld has managed to attract the ears of millions of fans, hoping his next project will be his evolution. But, was he able to do something special on this new record?

On Death Race for Love, Juice consistently delivers his unique and recognizable sound. The entire album has an emo-rap feel, with blustering 808s, dirty beats, wacky lyrics and Juice’s classic whining/singing. Juice has managed to capture his signature sound once again, but this album has one big problem.

While there are a few stand out songs like “Empty,” “Maze,” “Hemotions” and “Robbery”, they make up a small part of the album and are overshadowed in this 22-song behemoth. Many of the other songs sound a little too similar to each other and Juice’s previous work.  One likely explanation is that Juice or his label is trying to bolster streaming numbers, but this has been shown time and time again to be a bad strategy for artists.

With such a long run time, there are bound to be lackluster songs. “Desire” and “Who Shot Cupid?” both fall flat compared to the rest of the record, and are likely a product of Juice taking on more than he can handle.

While he probably should have chosen to make it shorter, Juice still certainly delivers on this album. When it’s good, it’s really good, and when it’s bad, it’s only mediocre. Death Race For Love has already reached number one on the Billboard Top 200 Albums. It’s safe to say that the hits off of this record have carried Juice to another commercial success.