Netflix Creates New Holiday Classics

Christmas cinema coronates cheesy cliches.

Molly Farrar, A&E Editor

Now that Thanksgiving has come and gone, it’s socially acceptable to string up lights and change the radio to the Christmas station. For movies, rewatching favorites like “Frosty the Snowman” or “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”  can bring nostalgic holiday memories and the Christmas spirit to a cold December evening.

For me, I’ve heard and watched Rudolph too many times to revisit, but I love the holidays. Through the cheesy genre of Christmastime romance, Netflix has opened up the door for me to get in the spirit without rewatching “The Polar Express” for the tenth time.

Last year, Netflix released “The Christmas Prince,” complete with a handsome sovereign and a perky journalist trying to get the inside scoop. Obviously, they immediately fall in love and get engaged in the final scene with snow falling around them on Christmas day.

The film did its job well. The unrealistic situation kept the romance light, leaving the viewers without concerns of the practical issues associated with whirlwind relationships. The plot is simple, but sometimes that’s ok.

Now, another mindlessly entertaining sequel is upon us. Prince Richard and Amber are back in “The Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding.” On Nov. 30, the movie will be released on Netflix and will pick up a year later with a Christmastime wedding. By reviving the royals, “The Christmas Prince” series creates holiday nostalgia without worrying about plot. The film and its sequel aren’t intellectually stimulating for a reason; it’s about the magic of Christmas.  

This isn’t the streaming service’s first go at replicating Hallmark’s trademark romantic holiday films. In 2017, “Christmas Inheritance” was released and also ended with a kiss on Christmas. In 2018, “The Princess Switch” starring Vanessa Hudgens (“High School Musical”)  hit screens with a plot similar to “The Parent Trap” or “Monte Carlo.”

This subgenre of Christmas romance does what the classics do: reignite the Christmas spirit from one’s childhood. Now, as we get older, it’s easy to watch these enjoyable albeit low-quality plots and feel the spirit of Christmas.