New Netflix Spanish Soap Opera Fails at First Episode

Jessica Fosse, Life Editor

Love binge-worthy shows on Netflix? Me too. If only “Elite” could be good enough to get through two episodes.

“Elite” is the Netflix Original replacement for “El Internado,” a Spanish soap opera that Spanish 3 classes watch on Fridays, and I was devastated when it was removed from Netflix’s library. “El Internado” got me hooked on Spanish soap operas including “Gran Hotel” and “Las Chicas de Cables.”

“El Internado” looked low budget but as it progressed in popularity so did its production quality. “Elite” has almost too-good-to-be-real sets and computer generated imagery (CGI).

However, it seems unfair to compare the two shows because they are not related to one another, but when removing one to make room for the other makes viewers make comparisons. For example, they both entail a murder-mystery prominent in a high school setting.

“Elite” puts out what they think teenagers want in a show: drama and sex. While both are excessively included the producers forgot to include good acting, plot line, characters and basic human emotions.

The show follows three characters that get accepted on a scholarship to an elite boarding school because their old school collapsed. They all have to settle into their new lives experiencing bullies, sex, popularity, family issues and more sex.

Each episode walks the viewers through the scandalous lives of the teenagers while quickly reminding you that there is a murder involved. It lacks organization or even a key path to follow because it quickly hits you with problems you would never imagine having in high school on a day-to-day basis.

The first episode includes every problem imaginable in 56 minutes to the point where it is unwatchable, confusing and predictable. The pilot didn’t just introduce all the characters, it introduced all the show has to offer— and a lot of nudity.

Not every character needs a unique background, problem or niche. The show could improve with some static or foil characters to highlight how cruel or important the main characters are for the development of the plot.

Overall, “Elite” is not worth the time if you are looking for a decent soap opera. It’s mess from the start and shows no signs of improving but anything could happen. Hopefully less nudity and more plot points.