‘Bambi’ Surprises and Delights

Molly Farrar, A&E Editor

Hippo Campus, an indie rock band formed in 2013, released their sophomore album Bambi on Sept. 28 after prereleasing three singles from the album.

Hippo Campus’s first studio album Landmark cemented the band as a favorite in the indie music circle and for good reason. “Way It Goes,” “Buttercup,” and “Boyish” each had their unique flare to the band’s traditional guitar-heavy alt-rock with catchy melodies.

Landmark showcased a band well beyond their years, despite the young age of its members. Hippo Campus began performing immediately after high school and released their first EP shortly after in 2014. After Landmark’s and their assorted EP’s successes, fans were looking to see what the band would come up with next.

“Passenger” dropped on June 22, which is track 10 and the final track of the album. Following the band’s upbeat indie alternative vibe from Landmark, “Passenger’s” chilled, synth ballad was a surprising prelude to the anticipated album.

The title track from Bambi was released two months later on Aug. 22 along with the first music video for the next album. “Bambi” kept with the new synth style introduced with “Passenger,” but brought back some more recognizable Hippo Campus style with alt-rock influences and lead singer Jake Luppen’s captivating lines.

Finally, Hippo Campus released “Golden” two days before the album was due to be released. “Golden” surprised by turning the new synth pop into the band’s own sound. The sweet melodies melded with their own indie flare and brought the entire album together.

After Landmark and the multiple successful EPs, Hippo Campus had a huge task for their next project. While the band’s original influences and initial indie alternative style will always have a place in fan’s hearts, they should be opening them to Hippo Campus’s growth into Bambi.