The Black Eyed Peas Return with New Single

Molly Farrar, A&E Editor

Almost a decade ago, The Black Eyed Peas had a firm grip on the radio. “I’ve Got a Feeling” and “The Time (Dirty Bit)” gave current seniors dance beats in their childhoods.

“I’ve been a fan ever since I was 8,” senior Kennedi Crawford said. “I love how all their songs don’t sound the same. They can do any song and it’s always amazing.”

After announcing on July 6, 2011 at a concert that the group was officially splitting up, the Black Eyed Peas turned that retirement into a seven-year hiatus by releasing a new single “Big Love” on Sept. 12, 2018.

For “Big Love,” The Black Eyed Peas became a trio, losing the iconic Fergie to the dismay of some students. For senior Jake Hinds, Fergie left an impression on him back in elementary school.

“I’ve been a fan ever since Fergie did front flips on the ‘Today Show’ during her concert,” he said. “I’m disappointed that Fergie isn’t in the song because I feel like she made the group successful.”

However, the song “Big Love” is making its mark on the Internet without Fergie. The music video has already accumulated 3.3 million views in six days. The video hits on controversial issues involving immigration and school shootings in the United States.

The video opens with a warning: “What you are about to see is hard to watch. But this is the point of this film. It should be hard to watch. But imagine having to live through it. No kid should live through what you are about to see.”

The video, in a total of nine minutes, plays the song twice in two separate scenarios. First, a school shooter terrorizes a school. Then, a group of border patrolmen separates children from their families at the Mexican border. The video ends with children lying in overcrowded cages.

Crawford appreciates the video’s message and is glad that the Black Eyed Peas came out with such a powerful comeback.

“A lot of young people like myself don’t watch the news and only get a biased point of view on those types of subjects from their parents or friends,” Crawford said about the video. “It’s good that popular people in the media can show what’s really going on in society.”