Fright Fest Attracts Halloween-Ready Students

Ava Fehrmann, Staff Writer

As Halloween approaches, students are taking every opportunity to partake in the festivities such as dressing up, visiting haunted mazes and indulging in candy corn.  One of the highlights of St. Louis’s Halloween celebration is Six Flags’ Fright Fest.

With haunted attractions, scare zones and spooky decorations that transform the park into a horror land, students look forward to endless terrifying entertainment.

The scare zones are designated parts of the park where workers dressed as clowns, trolls or zombies wait to scare anybody who passes by.  For children, there is Macabre Manor which gives out candy bags rather than having people in masks waiting at the entrance.

Students enjoy the suspense of not knowing when and where a masked worker will scare them because it adds to the fearsome experience.

“You never knew when they were going to pop out,” senior Rachel Stephenson said.

While others take interest in the scare zones, some find it more entertaining to visit the haunted houses.  This year the haunted house themes are The Slaughterhouse, Night Terrors and Blackout.

“My favorite part (about Fright Fest) is the door maze,” freshman Jack Dawson said.  Dawson enjoys visiting Fright Fest every year with his family.

For those who aren’t interested in being frightened by scare zones and haunted houses, there’s the same roller coasters they can enjoy year round.  The only thing added is the Halloween decorations that add a more festive feel to the experience.

“The skeletons in front are pretty cool,” Stephenson said. “(It) always gets you in a spooky mood when that’s the first thing you see when you walk in.”