Fiery Females Take (Older) Film

Nara Markowitz, Staff Writer

Art is meant to inspire, movie characters are supposed to remain relevant, and literature often reflects the struggles of a time period.

While all of these things are true, movies that display strong female characters are lacking in the film industry despite the messages they can send to society. Below are some classic movies with female heroines who have challenged stereotypes and broken through societal boundaries.

Heathers (1988)

This cult-classic black comedy stars Winona Ryder as Veronica Sawyer, the cynical 17-year-old member of the most popular group in school.

“Heathers” bluntly and ironically displays the dark realities of high school girlhood with themes featuring bulimia, self-harm, sexism and sexual harassment.

Veronica stands out from other rom-com heroines because she overcomes her manipulative boyfriend and the dog-eat-dog pyramid of popularity: both with one big explosion.

She represents the strong, boundary-defying woman so often overlooked by the media.

Erin Brockovich (2000)

Based on a true story, “Erin Brockovich” follows the life of single mother-of-three Erin Brockovich (Julia Roberts.)

Despite her poverty and lack of education, Erin manages to find a job at a law office and slowly uncovers that Pacific Gas and Electric Company’s (PG&E) dark secret: it’s leaking dangerous carcinogens in the groundwater of several old homes.

Ultimately, Erin nearly single-handedly wins $333 million for all the families affected by PG&E after she uncovers their elaborate cover-up.

Legally Blonde (2001)

Elle Woods transforms from a ditsy rich girl to a dedicated lawyer in this romantic comedy.

After a bad breakup with her hopeful fiancé, Elle realizes that becoming her own independent woman should come before any relationship.

Elle inspires us with the kind of intelligence and confidence that defies pretty blonde stereotypes. Throughout the movie, she teaches lessons about self-worth and relationships so slyly that the audience doesn’t even realize it.