Netflix Original Series ‘Making a Murderer’ Takes Over the Country and EHS

Maddi George, Views Editor

Holiday break is traditionally used to spend time with your loved ones close to home or even across the country. However this year, individuals chose to spend more of this break with an alleged murderer.

Just in time for binge-watching season, Netflix released its newest original “Making a Murderer” on Dec. 18.

This 10-part documentary follows the life of Steven Avery, a man who was exonerated of the crimes of rape and attempted murder after 18 years in jail and then, following his release, charged with the rape and murder of another woman.

The documentary series has gained national attention with the help of celebrities on social media and large celebrity gossip sources such as Us Weekly and People Magazine.

Closer to home, students at EHS have discovered this up-and-coming show.

Senior Katie Frick, who has also enjoyed the Netflix original “Orange is the New Black”, has heard buzz about the show since she has started watching it and is excited to see where it goes.

The unique story line is what drew Frick in when she first logged into Netflix and saw the documentary flash across her screen.

“It’s a crime show with a twist in each episode. You are watching the story unfold as a convicted rapist is proven innocent and then convicted of murder,” Frick said. “You get to make your opinion on whether the police are framing him or if he is guilty.”

Senior Olivia Lowe is not only intrigued with the story line but the making of the documentary as well.

“It took upwards of ten years to make…The documentary really does a good job of exposing those who knew they had the wrong guy. It’s fascinating yet infuriating,” Lowe said.

Lowe also feels “Making a Murderer” has separated itself from other binge-worthy Netflix originals she’s watched like “Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp” and “Orange is the New Black.”

“Just the fact that it’s a documentary makes it stand out from the others. Not to mention the information they’re trying to portray isn’t all just spoken, they show you interviews from years and years ago, some of which include recordings of the court case…,” Lowe said. “…A lot of the times we don’t understand how things like this can happen. The documentary takes you through every stage of the investigation while keeping you on edge.”

Frick is just glad she’s ahead of the game now that she’s watched this emerging documentary.

“I love to binge watch and share good shows with my friends,” Frick said. “I’m glad I found ‘Making a Murderer’ and can’t wait to convince everyone in my life to watch.”