‘Divergent’ Premieres and Pleases in Movies Theaters

“I’m so excited!” “I wonder if it will be anything like the book?” “I can’t wait.”  It’s happened again: Hollywood has taken another popular novel and turned it into a new hit movie.

Friday, March 21 book worms all over America were yearning to see Veronica Roth’s popular novel, “Divergent” hit the big screen.

“Divergent,” is set in a world divided into factions based on characteristics or virtues.  There are five factions that possess a specific characteristic and have a current job to do.

Once the children of each faction become a current age they must take a test that will tell them where they belong best to help society.  However, no matter what the test results are you are free to choose whatever faction you wish to be in (there is no changing your faction once chosen).

This where our main character, Tris Prior (Shailene Woodley), comes into play.  Tris finds that her test results are inconclusive and that she has the characteristics of every faction.  This makes her known as a Divergent.  Divergents are seen as a threat that would destroy the balance and order of society.  She must keep this secret in order to survive.

“Divergent” captures your attention just by the setting alone.  The city where these people reside is a destroyed and mangled Chicago.  It makes you wonder what could have happened to make the world like this.  They do speak a little bit in the film about a war.  My guess is a World War III that didn’t have a good ending.

This film also required a lot of fist-fighting.  Every time a punch was thrown, I would cringe in my seat.  The sound that was made when someone was hit sounded so real and made you jump.  If you don’t like seeing girls get punched, then don’t watch it because this happens quite often.

The fighting in this movie was not done over, which pleased me.  I’m not a fan of one fight scene after another, but this film did it well.

If you enjoy actions movies this is defiantly one to see.  Along with great action, there were great special effects from jumping of trains to soaring through the air.  It wasn’t just one of those films where you look at it and say “wow that’s fake.”

This film is action packed and even plays with the heart strings.  Fear, love and lose are large emotions that are played out in Divergent.  This film does a great job of tying action and emotion together.

So if you have free go to a theater and see Divergent and see what faction you belong in.

Paige Schmittling
Paige Schmittling, Staff Writer
Paige Schmittling is a junior at Edwardsville High School.  She spends her time playing softball year-round and working out.  She hopes to attend Western Illinois University and play college softball and major in athletic training.  Paige loves listening to music and watching horror movies.  Paige joined the Journalism 2 staff because she loves Mrs. Thrun and writing. She enjoys going to Cardinals games and watching baseball.  Paige is very energetic and loves the company of her friends.