Music Impacts Students At EHS

How can you not be put into a better mood by listening to the catchy rhythm of Pharrell’s “Happy”? Or saddened by A Great Big World’s “Say Something”? People listen to several genres of music depending on the mood they are in. Each person has different music for the moods or activities they do.

Senior Clare Wasmuth strongly believes that her mood determines which song will be playing through her headphones.

“If it is a nice day outside I catch myself listening to more upbeat music compared to a day when it’s cold and rainy,” Wasmuth said.  “In the summer, I’m more likely to listen to a bit more country than usual, but that’s about it.”

While some students get down in the dumps listening to the blues, others don’t let their mood affect their ITunes playlist.

Junior Taylor Robinson enjoys the spicy Latin vibes of Celia Cruz and Oscar Ventura. “Usually I listen to Latin music when I’m doing my homework, rap or laissez faire pop when I’m working out and I play R&B on guitar and piano for practice,” Robinson said.

Robinson plays his music according to what activities he is doing and not by his emotions.

Along with Robinson is freshman Taylor Rickey.

Rickey always listens to pop and rap. Her favorite song for the time being, is “Drunk in Love” by Beyoncé.

“I turn on the radio in the car and sing every song that comes on, but I have to change the station a lot because I get annoyed with what I listen to from playing it so much,” Rickey said.

Different people use music for different things.  Whether it is to help someone’s mood, doing daily tasks, screaming along with the radio or just to get through the day, music has its purpose.

Lauren Corby
Lauren Corby, Staff Writer
Lauren Corby is a senior at Edwardsville High School. She enjoys spending her time playing volleyball and softball. Lauren is headed to University of Arkansas Pine Bluff on a volleyball/academic scholarship and later hopes to pursue a nursing career. She loves coffee, cream soda and anything edible. Lauren is addicted to working out. She loves Journalism 2 because Mrs. Thrun is the teacher and because of all the awesome people.  She cannot wait to head to college next fall.