Students Skip out on Prom

Zoe Robinson, Staff Writer

Prom is one of the most popular events of a high schooler’s career. You get to dress up like you’ve never dressed up before, take pictures you’ll look back on for years and dance the night away with a date or with your group of friends.

Who wouldn’t want to do that?

Actually, a lot of people.

Although most juniors and seniors decide to attend Edwardsville High School’s prom, a handful of students have alternative plans for April 28.

“I plan on going to parties and everything (afterward), just not the dance,” junior Alex Joseph said. “It’s really superficial. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun getting dressed up and dancing with your friends, but it’s just crazy to me that all of my friends are getting super stressed and spending a ton of money so that they look “good enough” for a night that’s just supposed to be fun.”

Joseph isn’t alone with her opinions, either. Prom isn’t as popular as one might expect, but for others they didn’t realize they wouldn’t enjoy it until after they spent hundreds of dollars to attend.

“I didn’t enjoy it very much my junior year,” said senior Shauna Parker, who will be staying home and watching Netflix. “They didn’t play very good music and most people just stood around bored. I feel like it’s just a waste of money to buy a ticket and expensive dress and heels for something that’s not going to be very enjoyable.”

For others, it’s less that they don’t want to go but more that they simply can’t.

Senior Kennison Adams won’t be attending prom this year because she will be participating in a volunteering and scholarship event in Washington D.C.

“I’m sad I won’t be getting to spend this last event with my classmates, especially pictures, but I’m also really excited for the opportunity,” Adams said. “I’d say it’s bittersweet.”

Although prom is glamorized as some kind of life-changing event in movies and television shows, it just doesn’t seem to meet that expectation in the real world.