Keep on Packing . . . Or Maybe Not

Emma Lazerson, Views Editor

In the final leg of the college season, there is little left to do.  Maybe you’re still deciding between a few schools, hoping to hear if you got in off a waitlist or holding off on paying a deposit.  But no matter where you go, you’ll probably have to contend with a dorm.

Yes, the beloved less-than 130 square foot box you’re housed in with another student.

And when moving into a dorm, there are things to bring, and things that needs to stay at home.

Excluding obvious items like bedding and towels, here’s the shortlist of items to bring.

A First-Aid Kit

This easily-forgotten item may slip under your radar when picking out clothing and bedding and the items that are generally more exciting, but a first-aid kit is never a bad idea.  Having Band-Aids, gauze or aspirin around can be handy in a pinch.

Closet Organizer

I’m sure hangers seem like the dullest possible item you could imagine, but they are necessary.  Many companies produce ‘closet organizers’ that allow you to put multiple items on a space-saving rod. Face it: we all have clothes that we’re going to jam-pack into a tiny closet.  In a dorm, everything is about maximizing space, and this nifty tool will do just that.

Shower Shoes

Depending on the college you attend, you may very well have communal bathrooms.  I would like to emphasize communal.  I’m sure people will remind you to bring a caddy, but shower shoes are just as important.  No one wants to contract a bizarre foot fungus from a communal bathroom, especially when a pair of $2 flip flops could have prevented you from having to purchase fungal cream.

Cleaning Supplies

You don’t want to live in filth.  You’re going to need wipes, dust rags and potentially some air freshener.  Don’t scrimp on cleaning supplies; you’ll never know who your roommate may be.  Not everyone values hygiene as much as you do.

Just as important as purchasing these materials is recognizing what to leave at home.

Large Electronics

Don’t bother with a flat screen or other expensive electronics.  Yes, a laptop is important to bring, just like headphones but leave the pricey gadgets at home.  Theft is not uncommon on college campuses.

Hot Plates, Microwaves or Space Heaters

Avoid anything flammable or bulky.  You just won’t have the space.

String Lights

Depending on where you go to school, they may or may not allow string lights.  Yes, I know you’ve seen all of those adorable Pinterest photos of DIY room decor; however, a lot of schools are worried about a fire hazard.  Leave the lights at home.