Sign of the Times

Jessica Fosse, Life Editor

Spanish, French and German clubs are opportunities for students to practice language outside of their classes. But there is a sign of a new language club.

Sign language club is new to EHS and club officers are quickly recruiting new members for the ‘17-’18 school year. So far they have made announcements and hung up flyers about their meetings.

“[We are] currently working on a video to have on the Friday announcements. Also, Dr. Cramsey has helped advertise,” Vice President Emily Magruder said. “He has a son that is deaf, so he is fluent.”

Magruder, along with other officers, hopes that members want to keep learning the language.

Senior Lauren Tripp joined because she is interested in becoming an interpreter.

“When I first heard about sign language club, I was excited to have an opportunity to redefine my skills in the school environment,” Tripp said.

For junior Meredith Johnson, she joined to be involved in a new club.

“My goal is to be able to hold a conversation with someone in the deaf community,” Johnson said. “Someone who knows sign is one more person that a deaf person can communicate with in our very verbal world.”

Sign language club was created by Magruder and Club President Hailee O’Dell in the spring of 2017.

“It really helps us to communicate with the nonverbal FLS students at school which, is something I am very passionate about.” Magruder said. “It also gives students a new way to communicate.”

The members have so far been taught the basics: the alphabet, colors, numbers, family members and units of time. Each meeting has something new in store to learn, just like a foreign language class.