Model UN Trip Teaches Valuable Lessons

Miranda Lintzenich, Life Editor

Model UN takes a few choice students up to Chicago, and this year was no exception. Around 30 students packed up their bags for a trip that lasted from Wednesday, Feb. 3 to Sunday, Feb. 7.

Social Studies Department Head Mr. Gall is the adviser of the club. With him, Ms. Haskins, Mr. Paur, and students trekked across the state to attend.

These students had been preparing all year for the trip. They met every Wednesday and debated modern topics. Then the club gets their topics and countries in December, according to senior Cole Frierdich.

“We pick committees that we find interesting and U Chicago gives us international issues that would be covered in that committee,” Frierdich said. “We have to work to find a resolution that will work and vote for it.”

The event itself is hosted by University of Chicago. Here, students meet as delegates from other countries and debate until a resolution is decided upon.

Junior Kathleen McCracken was Belgium in the Commission on the Status of Women. This was her third year going on the trip.

“The highlight was when something I wrote or helped write got passed in a resolution,” McCracken said.

Along with McCracken, freshman Maya Noonan, sophomores Dylan Lloyd, Carson Whitney, Anna Connor, Meghan Gorniack and Kyleigh DuBoise were just some of the choice students chosen.

Senior Devin Blume also attended the trip, but for the first time.

“I learned that democratic situations can be very slow,” Blume said. “It took several days for us to come up with a small resolution. It makes more sense as to why Congress… takes so long to debate.”

Frierdich was a representative of Belgium SPECPOL, along with Blume. He took away a few life lessons.

“Everyone needs to know various languages because it’s hard to work together when you can’t understand the person,” Frierdich said. “You should respect another person’s culture, especially when it is under scrutiny.”

McCracken enjoys the process more than anything.

“I am very passionate about international relations, debate, and problem solving,” McCracken said. “Model UN is the perfect fit. I enjoy collaborating with other delegates and learning about the world.”