Students Star in ‘Shrek: The Musical’

Maddi George, Views Editor

The animated film turned musical, “Shrek”, is headed to Edwardsville, and some familiar faces to EHS’s stage are excited to be bringing the show to the Wildey this weekend.

“Shrek: The Musical” follows the same classic plot line of “Shrek,” according to sophomore Julia Paul. However, there are several aspects to the production that make it unique.

“It’s very unique with its wide variety of characters. There are ogres, princesses, pigs, a puppet, and pretty much any fairy tale character you can think of,” Paul said.

Along with a wide variety of characters comes a large cast.

This is also what makes the show unique compared to an EHS production, according to junior Hannah Willmore who plays Gingy the Gingerbread Man.

“This one is different because of the wide range of ages and experience levels,” Willmore said. “…for some people, this is their first show and for others this is their twentieth.”

Junior Clayton Osborne, who plays Pinocchio, has also enjoyed the ranging age groups and all the characters that come with it.

“…It’s something that you won’t find in almost any other show,” Osborne said.

Junior Ali Meehan said the actors have been working since August every week to prepare for the three shows this weekend.

“Most people had to be there once or twice a week. Others were there three or four times,” Meehan said. “…the end result is always a wonderful performance.”

There are three showtimes this weekend: Friday, Oct. 9 at 7:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 10 at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday, Oct 11 at 2:30 p.m. To purchase tickets visit the Wildey’s website.