German Club Hosts Annual Oktoberfest

CJ Carpenter, Staff Writer

Last Friday, the German Club put on its annual communal event with flying colors: black, red and yellow.

Oktoberfest, held in Edwardsville at Township Park, is named after a yearly German festival observed by countries all over the globe.

“It’s our biggest event of the year,” German teacher and German Club leader Levi Antrim said.

The festival was comprised of many events, including a burlap sack race and contests for root beer-chugging and sauerkraut-eating.

“My favorite event is always the tug-of-war,” said junior and German Club Committee member Dakota Copple. French Club members and German Club members faced off against each other.

Copple orchestrated the festival, announcing the beginning of each event. He, along with the other committee members, set up the pavilion at the park.

“We spent about a week signing everyone up, and once we had all the numbers, we took off 6th hour to complete setup,” said Copple.

With the help of the committee, Antrim’s responsibilities ranged from planning the events to buying and preparing enough food for the 104 students from various clubs that showed up.

“We had a pretty good turnout this year,” he said.

According to Antrim, around 50 French Club members attended, and 20 students from Spanish Club did: a big step up from the two Spanish Club members that came last year.

“It’s really nice to see all the clubs come together collectively,” Antrim said. “The Germans have a word, ‘Zusammengehörigkeit.’ It means togetherness, and it’s what Oktoberfest is all about.”